Solid Waste & Recycling
/filestorage/7429/7431/7461/2017_Fall_Yard_Waste_Schedule_for_website.pdf.msgHazardous Waste Collection Schedule 2017
Reduce. Reuse. Recycle
What Goes Where?
The solid waste and recycling division of public works provides weekly curbside collection of refuse, recycling, and seasonal waste (leaves, holiday trees).
- All refuse and recycling containers must be curbside by 8:00 AM
- The green city refuse containers should be placed within 2 feet of the curb and at least 3 feet away from all obstacles, including your recycle bin, vehicles, telephone poles and street signs.
- If you have more than one 90 gallon city refuse container please allow for a minimum of 3 feet between the containers so that pick up can happen without any problems.
Single Stream Recycling Information:
All recyclables should be placed in a recycling, and should be placed curbside at the same time as your refuse container.
Curbside Single Stream Recycling Collection: Place the following types of items loose into the blue recycling bin:
- Numbers #1-7 Plastics – All plastic bottles and tubs
- Metal food containers, soda cans
- aluminum cans
- Glass food and beverage containers, all colors
- Paper milk and juice cartons, cereal boxes and similar paper
- Newspaper, magazines & catalogs
- Office paper, folders, junk mail, phone books, paperback books,
- Corrugated cardboard, broken down into small pieces that fit in the recycle bin
- clean aluminum foil and aluminum plates
Additional recycling containers may be purchased at the New London Transfer Station. If your recycle bin becomes damaged you may bring it to the transfer station for free replacement.
Holiday Collection Schedule:
The normal collection of refuse and recycling will be delayed by one (1) day following the listed holidays, with Friday’s pick-up moved to Saturday.
- New Year’s Day
- Martin Luther King Jr. Day
- Presidents’ Day
- Good Friday
- Memorial Day
- Independence Day
- Labor Day
- Columbus Day
- Veterans’ Day
- Thanksgiving Day
- Christmas Day
Transfer Station/Recycling Center:
63 Lewis St; New London
The Solid Waste Division maintains and operates the City’s Transfer Station and Recycling Center. This facility is open to all New London residents and Non residents, under a Fee Schedule.
Transfer Station/Recycling Center Hours of operation
Monday - Friday 7:30 - 11:30 AM; 12:30 - 3:00 PM
First Saturday of the month & Saturdays after Holidays:
7:30 - 11:30 AM; 12:30 - 3:00 PM
Any questions, please contact the Transfer Station/Recycling Center, (860) 447-5248.
Address: 63 Lewis St
New London, CT 06320
Phone: (860) 447-5248, (860) 447-5250
Fax: (860) 447-5228
Public Works Superintendent
Solid Waste & Recycling Crew Leader